How To Upgrade 7.1 to 7.3 via yum

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri May 21 20:23:01 UTC 2004

Doug Koobs wrote:
>>I finolly found a pure RedHat 7.1 installation (instead of a
>>Fermi Linux one)
>>so I'm running through the steps right now.
>>
>>Troy
>

> Thanks Troy! I think I'll wait till I hear back from you before I proceed.
>
> Doug

Hi Doug,
I'm still working on the web page.  It does currently have a link to a working
yum.conf.  It is essentially what you said, but it also has the exclude=kernel
commented out, cuz you really do want to upgrade the kernel.

There are a couple of things you need to double check.  Make sure you have at
least the 4.0.4 version of rpm, and you have to have the popt and the glibc
that goes along with them.

Make sure you have up2date uninstalled.

Also make sure you don't have any 2.4.2 or 2.4.3 RedHat kernels installed.

Beyond those things, my upgrade went quite well.

I've got to re-install a machine and try the script I'm working on, so the web
page might take a little bit longer to finish.

Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468