error running yum update for the first time

David Anthrope David at DAnthrope.com
Tue Nov 2 21:10:22 UTC 2004

I have a newly installed RH9 system (meaning I just installed RH9
out of the box, clean, and have no updates applied),
and I've installed yum and told it to update.

After looking for dependencies, yum says it needs to
install libao (0.8.3-3.i386) and prompts me y/n
to which I respond y of course.
Then it returns an error:
error: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: MD5 digest: BAD
Expected(long-hex-string) != (other-long-hex-string)

It then continues along installing other things
but eventually returns several other errors (which I'm presuming
probably result from the initial error).

Can anyone offer me some insight?

I'm guessing that my "virgin RH9" install is lacking some
stuff needed to let yum do it's thang.
If someone can offer some insight into what's needed
to bring an out-of-the-box-RH9 up to snuff I'd be
tremendously appreciative.

--
David Anthrope
mailto://David@DAnthrope.com