suggestion about using yum for QA in updates-testing

Barbara Pennacchi b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it
Tue Oct 12 11:38:06 UTC 2004

Hi, maybe it's something blatantly obvious, but if I'm not the only one
relatively new to testing for QA the various packages, it could be useful
to other QA newbies.

Putting the lines related to the updates-testing directory in the default
yum conf file (usually is /etc/yum.conf) may cause some slight confusion
when one wishes to update ONLY from /updates-testing/ or from /updates/
with the global command "yum update", or download from only ONE of the two
dirs some packages (that happen to be in BOTH directories).

That's what happened to me one or two times.

So I put in /etc/ another file called testyum.conf containing only the
urls for updates-testing, leaving alone the "normal" repos (base, legacy-
utils and updates) in yum.conf.

When I want to download packages from /updates-testing/ I use the command

	yum -c /etc/testyum.conf [check-]update

Calling yum without the -c option lets it behave normally as if you were a
normal user.

If you use bash, you might insert into .bashrc the line:

	alias testyum='yum -c /etc/testyum.conf'

so that "testyum" will spare you specifying every time the other config
file.

Any correction/suggestion is welcome :)
cheers,
b.
|         WARNING WARNING WARNING *** EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGED!         |
|                  USE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED BELOW                  |
|     IF YOU KEEP WRITING TO THE OLD ADDRESS IT IS NOT MY FAULT!     |
| Barbara Pennacchi                          b.pennacchi at istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |