mach? Re: Can't "rpmbuild --rebuild kernel-2.4.20-37.7.legacy.src.rpm" on a RH7.3 system

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Fri Oct 22 00:22:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 07:16:47PM -0500, David Eisenstein wrote:

> Dominic, can you give us a little more information about mach?  I've heard
> it mentioned in passing here on this email list, but I haven't seen any
> information about mach on the fedoralegacy.org web-site.  Any URL's for
> it?

I'm probably not the person to ask -- I only use the version already set
up by Jesse on the build server -- but the short answer is that it is a
python script to manage a bunch of chroots for different distributions
for the purposes of building RPMS. So once you get a minmial chroot you
can do:

   mach -r redhat-73-i386 rebuild foo.rpm

and mach enters that chroot, installs all the build dependencies, and
goes to build the package. The thing is that the minimal set of packages
that are contained in the chroot often does not include packages that
were evidently "assumed" to be there and so don't have missing build
dependencies, causing the frequent cries of "does not build in mach".
That last bit is someone superfluous to the particular topic of the
kernel, since that doesn't have many dependencies to worry about.

A google suggests that mach has a project home page at

http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/
]
Hope that helps..

Cheers,