followup to kernel-source issue

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 27 18:55:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:21:47PM +0100, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> > Well, the kernel-source package is going away in newer
> > versions of Fedora.
>
> Does anybody know if the package is being replaced by an equivalent? Is the
> kernel source provided elsewhere?
>
> When building Compaq/HP servers, I've found that I need the kernel-source
> package in order to compile the hpasm drivers

Pieces you need to compile external modules are available, for
current Fedora releases,  in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/build/
(you can use simply /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build if this is for
the currently running kernel) and "sane" modules, which in
particular do not require patching your kernel, do build with that.
This is just a part of 'kernel', or 'kernel-smp', packages you
likely installed if you do not have some troubles with booting. :-)

If every module you may want is "sane" this is a good question.
If you really need sources (may happen, but probably not) then after

 rpm -i kernel<whatever>.src.rpm
 rpmbuild -bp --arch=noarch /some/path/to/kernel.spec

you have a source, with all patches applied, from which that kernel
was build.

It is highly advisable NOT to do things of that sort from a 'root'
account but to define in ~/.rpmmacros your own %_topdir and work
there.  Do not forget to create required subdirectories; you may
copy them from /usr/src/redhat/.

   Michal