Let's get moving

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 8 01:51:33 UTC 2004

Quoting Dominic Hargreaves <dom at earth.li>:

> There certainly seems to be confusion about the terminology used in the
> bug reporting system and process. I and others have been under the
> impression that the packages were released after two weeks if no further
> problems were found

I'm not under that impression.

> as did you in
> <1094585037.1aa0b0d478bbb at mail.ph.utexas.edu>:
>
> "And 2 weeks is a timeout if no one votes on it."

No, that wasn't what I meant.  Above that I wrote:

  No, IRRC.  If the package has passed QA for one OS version, but not for
  other OS versions, then after 2 weeks all versions can be passed.  This
  is there so that if one SRPM is built for multiple OS versions, they won't
  all hang up because only one OS version wasn't tested.  It really only
  applies when the same SRPM, or at least the same patch code, was used for
  all of the versions. If a different patch was used for the different versions,
  then this probably shouldn't be applied to that case.

If you look at the QA wiki page, it reads:

  If a similar update is available for multiple similar OS versions
  (e.g. for both RHL 7.2 and RHL 7.3), and has passed the publish criteria
  for one OS version but not for the other, the second OS version may be
  released after a timeout period if no one has tested it. This prevents
  updates from being published for one OS version due to lack of testers
  when it has passed on other similar OS versions and is believed to
  therefore be safe. Such releases are at the descretion of the Fedora
  Legacy package publishers.

> Clearly a 2 week timeout is not in place.

I don't know if that is clear.  Clearly there is confusion about it,
and there may be delays.  But the wording above even states that
"it may be released" after the 2 weeks, not that it must be released
or that it must happen exactly 2 weeks later.

> I volunteered to help with the build server when Jesse mentioned it, and
> I can currently only assume we should wait until it is available.

In my dealings with Jesse, I find it helpful to pester him repeatedly about
things every few days until he gives in. :)  Your milage may vary...  That's
how I ended up getting the web site up, CVS for the web site, etc.

I think an indication of how little participation we get can be seen in
the wiki.  I don't think there have been any changes to the docs in there
except for by myself and Jesse.

--
Eric Rostetter