Round-up, 2004-09-09

Andres Adrover Kvamsdal listas at andreso.net
Fri Sep 10 14:24:10 UTC 2004

Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Hopefully we won't have broken packages, so we won't have to fix them.

As far as I see it there would be only two sources of concern to me, two
situations I would not be able to deal with:

1.  A broken rpm package.  As long as rpm works everything is fine and
dandy with me.  I am too much of a linux newbie to have a clue of how to
deal with a broken rpm

2.  I currently have a RedHat 7.2 development server.  The new iptables
package was incompatible with the old kernel so I had to upgrade the
kernel instead of installing a new one.  A broken kernel that requires
update instead of install would also stress my abilitiess.

I personally can live with a couple of days of downtime due to broken
packages.

I have spent five years reading bugtraq.  I have seen terminator 3
(which coincidentaly was released at about the same time as blaster).

It gives me a false sense of security (which I appreciate) to see a lot
of activity in my yum logs.

Andres