Self-Introduction: Tom Yates

Tom Yates madlists at teaparty.net
Sat Sep 11 08:55:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Basic steps are:

[stuff i've done already]
> * Introduce yourself to the list, with your pgp key (see docs on the wiki)

greetings!  i am Tom Yates, i live in Cambridge, UK, whence i've spent the
past six years running a small free software consultancy business
(http://www.gatekeeper.ltd.uk).  most other biographical information can
be found at http://www.teaparty.net/cv/tom/ .  briefly, my historical
qualifications are fifteen years of unix sysadminning, and co-authorship
of "Building Linux and OpenBSD Firewalls" (Wiley, 2000).  i have no idea
why you should trust me; that's your call.

my specific RH legacy interest is RH9, as teaparty.net is a colocated
server running RH9.  all my home boxes are at various versions of FC, but
as teaparty.net is near the other Cambridge (Massachusetts), upgrading it
isn't likely to happen any time soon.  i am very grateful to the FL
project for enabling me to keep it in patch without having to fly over and
upgrade.

teaparty.net isn't just a vanity box.  it provides a smorgasbord of shell,
webmail, mailing lists, IMAPS/POPS, spam filtering, DNS hosting, web
hosting and/or redirection, secure socks proxying, and like services, from
which a community of about 25 non-paying, personally-known users select
the services they wish to use.

i also maintain a second server, hosted by a kind donor company in
cambridge, which provides a deployment platform for linux-oriented
tibetans who operate out of dharamsala, in north india.  there's a long
story behind that one.

i'm currently applying anything relevant to either box as soon as it
appears in updates-testing, so my aim for the project is to provide
feedback on these packages in a live environment.  i'm looking at using FL
to support a number of production RH73 boxes for a client of mine, so
later, i may be able to provide feedback on 73 builds as well.

my key is appended.  i do apologise, but for hysterical raisins my list-
subscription address (madlists@) is *not* my main email address, and isn't
on the key.  for the avoidance of doubt: i do everything *except* post to
mailing lists as madhatter@, which *is* on the key, so please don't let
the slight mismatch between the usernames confuse you.  the 1024 bit key's
fingerprint is 8AAC D1B1 FCA8 1019 99B1 9D65 78FB 6F29 5DF5 CF0E.

> * Report your results as a pgp clearsigned message to the Bugzilla system.
>  If you are voting for a publish state, then make this clear in the message
>  (such as putting in it "I VOTE TO PUBLISH" or "PUBLISH++").

a question of nomenclature is "publish" the decision to move stuff into
updates-testing, or from updates-testing to updates?

- --

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.