Self Introduction: Pavel Kankovsky

Takemoto timtak at nihonbunka.com
Sun Sep 26 14:12:22 UTC 2004

1. Full legal name
Timoty Takemoto ne Williams, was Leuers

2. Location (Country, City, etc)
Japan (but I am from the UK originally)

3. Profession or Student status
University teacher.

4. Company or School
Yamaguchi University

5. Your goals in the Fedora Legacy Project
       * Which OS versions are you interested in?
           RHL9
      * Do you want to do QA for packages?
        I am not sure what this means.
       * Anything else special?
        No

6. Historical qualifications
      * What other projects have you worked on in the past?
          I am an active member of moodle.org
         in a user support sort of way.
     * What computer languages and other skills do you know?
         I can hack php. I used to program in pascal many years
        ago.
       * Why should we trust you?
         Sounds like a bad idea to me.

7. GPG KEYID and fingerprint
Who?

I am just a guy that bought a book with an RHL9 CD.
It installed just like Windows - a piece of cake. It looks like Windows.
It cost next to nothing. But it acts as a server! Wow!
I use it for my classes. The server still seems to run fine.
At first I could press a button and download things, such as php,
from the RH site, sort of like Windows Update (I use win2k).
There have been some essential patches from Windows Update,
to stop really nasty viri. I am here in the hope that I will be able read
messages saying things like

"RH9 has been breached. Download this patch now!"

But since the "End of life" I have downloaded nothing.
And I am still not sure what "yum" or "apt" is but I think that they
are needed for downloading patches.

It all looks too complicated. I am thinking of moving to
mandrake or whitebox or something, but my RH9 box still
seems to work fine.

Tim