wording question

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 11 19:04:32 UTC 2005

In the Fedora Legacy docs, we use the terms "Consensus" and "Veto" which
maybe are not the best way to do things.

Consensus seeks that all or the vast majority of the participants be "for"
a position.  Veto means that something can be rejected without cause or
reason.

Instead, it might be suggested we switch to a system of "Consent" in which
we don't need everyone to agree on something, but rather just that no one
is against it.  In order for it not to pass, anyone who is against it must
be supported by a valid argument for their position.

In other words, instead of requiring mass support, we just need to lack of
opposition.  And in order to oppose it, the opposition must provide a
valid argument against it.

Thoughts?

--
Eric Rostetter