a little bug triage...

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Apr 12 23:00:54 UTC 2005

> Jesse Keating
>
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 12:49 -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
> > > the old service dies because of the upgrade, that is bad.
> >
> > Unless this is a different bug than I'm thinking of, the
> issue is that
> > the upgrade causes mysql to stop functioning completely on many
> > systems,
> > and a manual start is needed to regain service.
>
> Can any of you that possibly had this problem chime in?

I had this problem. A few others did too.

It seems to me that if RH's stand that an upgrade doesn't (or shouldn't?)
restart a service then the mySQL upgrade is stoping a service improperly.
I've done many a upgrade to mySQL via RPM and when 'manually' done the
service remains running until it's restarted via 'service mysqld restart'.

So maybe the bug in the mysql update is that it stops the service, not that
it fails to restart it.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com