a little bug triage...

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Wed Apr 13 16:23:09 UTC 2005

> Jesse Keating
>
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 18:00 -0500, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> > I had this problem. A few others did too.
> >
> > It seems to me that if RH's stand that an upgrade doesn't (or
> > shouldn't?)
> > restart a service then the mySQL upgrade is stoping a service
> > improperly.
> > I've done many a upgrade to mySQL via RPM and when
> 'manually' done the
> > service remains running until it's restarted via 'service mysqld
> > restart'.
> >
> > So maybe the bug in the mysql update is that it stops the
> service, not
> > that
> > it fails to restart it.
>
> Do you have the capability of reproducing this in a closed
> environment?
> Install up to a certain point, then -Uvh our update package
> and see what
> happens to the service?  Quite honestly we don't touch any
> part of that
> in the spec, we just make sure the new source goes in OK.
>
> --
> Jesse Keating RHCE      (geek.j2solutions.net)

I think I should be able to. I have a few spare boxes around here that would
fit the bill for a quick install + update test. Just have to dig them out.
:P

Give me some time, I'll see what I can do.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com