Upgrade RH9 kernel -> RHEL 3 kernel

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 18 19:22:03 UTC 2005

Quoting Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com>:

> Hi, I am a high school teacher who runs RH9 as a Terminal Server.
> Is it possible to upgrade RH9 kernel 2.4.20 to WBEL, Centos or RHEL
> 2.4.21 kernel? Or even getting the SRPM and compiling it?

You should be able to rebuild the SRPM, but it depends on various factors.
You would really be on your own if you did it.  You would want to stay
with RHEL 3.x and clones, as RHEL 4.x and clones use the 2.6 kernel.

> I'm asking because redhat backported many enhancements of the 2.6
> kernel to the EL 2.4.21 kernel.

Many of the same features are in the RHL 9 kernel.

> Here is the list of features backported:
> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/3features/kernel/

A lot of those are in RHL 9, some are not.  Which ones are you interested in?

--
Eric Rostetter