x86_64 FC2 repo not up yet?

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 21 19:46:14 UTC 2005

Ok, I now see in the FAQ that Legacy doesn't support x86_64.  But
regardless of the item buried deep in the FAQ, the general population
thinks Legacy will maintain whatever Red Hat produces, and since
that's not the case, it should be made prominently clear.

The Fedora Project makes statements like "the Fedora Steering
Committee would like to announce the transfer of Fedora Core 2 to the
Fedora Legacy Project" on its web page.  There's an implication here
that Legacy will then do something with the release, and that
implication makes people who are deciding what distro to use feel that
they won't be stranded if they use Fedora.  I shouldn't have to read a
FAQ on another website to find critical info when I choose whether to
run a distro (but I think I did, in fact, read the Legacy FAQ when I
made that decision last summer).

Right now the only hint that not everything recent is maintained is
the little word "select" on the front page.  I think an appropriate
(and fairly minimal) notice would be to add a statement to the "What
is..." section of the main web page like "Note that we do not maintain
updates for all architectures or all releases; please refer to the
maintenance grid for more information" and link that to a grid listing
all of the RH releases down the left, all of the architectures across
the top, and giving a letter in each cell:

Y	maintained
N	not maintained
n/a	combination never existed
F	future maintenance planned
D	maintenance being dropped within the next 2 months

Of course, I hope for x86_64 maintenance soon.  The architecture is
widely used in HPC environments, particularly in academia, and it is
particularly difficult to upgrade the OS on an HPC cluster.  I'd be
willing to bet that, if approached, AMD or even Red Hat would provide
the necessary hardware.  Getting QA testers is key, of course.  Users
will be growing in number, though I don't know what the numbers are
for FC2.

Thanks,

--jh--