separate emails to fedora-legacy-announce for each OS

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 21 22:20:56 UTC 2005

Quoting Joe Harrington <jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu>:

> It would be good if the fedora-legacy-announce emails had the same
> format as the fedora-announce-list emails.

They have the same format as the Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Enterprise
Linux announcements instead, no?

> Specifically, each message
> should state the distro it's for in the subject.  I don't like having
> to dig (deeply) through each email to determine if the update applies
> to one of my systems.  I'd rather be able to look at the summary at
> the top of the daily archive message and see it in the list there.

And I don't really want to get 4-6 copies of each advisory just because
it applies to that many releases.  It would make my job of updating
the web site a lot harder also.  And make the job of those releasing
the advisories at least a bit harder...

I'm not saying this can't be changed, but I am saying that other people
have different needs, and that we are following a well established
Red Hat method of doing things (even if Fedora Project differs).

> In pre-post discussions, it was suggested that my suggestion would
> proliferate the number of emails.  While true, the solution already
> exists: get the list in archive form on a daily basis (when there is
> mail at all).

This may not be practical for many people/applications.

> The announcements are not of a down-to-the-minute,
> time-critical nature.

I think some people would disagree with that.

> An alternative would be to have a list per
> release.  But, I think following the Fedora Project would be the way
> to go.

You haven't convinced me.  While you've provided reasons both for and
against your argument, you've not managed to make me see why either way
is really better.

> So, following the pre-post discussions, I'll ask:
>
> How do others feel about following Fedora's one-post-per-OS scheme?

I don't like it, for the following reasons:

* More work for the people cutting updates (unless they can automate this
  more for the future)
* More work for me (I update the advisories on the web site from the e-mails
  sent to the announce list)
* Too many e-mails (and sometimes digest formats just aren't desirable).
* Most other distros do it our way (only Fedora Project differs that I know
  of, though there are probably others).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics