separate emails to fedora-legacy-announce for each OS

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 22 23:57:46 UTC 2005

> > If you type 'chkconfig yum on', you get nightly updates in FC.  It's

> Of course, but it is recommend, and if so, for what uses?

If you're not on FC now, you might not be aware that they average
several updates a day.  That might change your mind about examining
each in detail.  Most are bugfixes for the latest release (FC bleeds
when released).  About a third are security.  A few are feature
enhancements.

> That's quite amazing...  We've no end of things that need special handling
> here with the RHL releases (restarting daemons, upgrading versus updating,
> rebooting after a kernel update, etc).   Even had some bugs (lilo update not
> working during a kernel update, etc).

One of the main design changes in the FC series of releases was to get
the updates so they didn't have these issues, i.e., to make automatic
updates possible and desirable (since RH wanted to sell that as a
service under RHEL).  Daemons are restarted in postinstall scripts.

The kernel-related packages no longer break anything when installed
but not booted.  It doesn't reboot after a kernel install, obviously,
you just get the new one by default next time you boot.  Kernels are
installed, not updated, so you always have all the kernels you ever
had.  If you don't like the new kernel, you select your old kernel in
the boot menu.  FC uses grub, not lilo, so those issues are gone.
There's no need to do anything other than edit a text file to change
the default kernel.

If you're like most users and you don't reboot very often, it makes
sense to subscribe to the email notices so you know when a new kernel
is available for booting (and generally to track what's going on).  I
think they ought to email root at the machine in postinstall for a
kernel, FWIW, but they don't.

Upgrades are still done manually, and for FC I see that as crucial.
New FC upgrades are *bleeding* edge, and generally many things break
in the first few months.  The nightly update script for Ubuntu, on the
other hand, also does a distribution upgrade if it exists.  That also
seems appropriate, though still a bit risky, since they claim to shoot
for stability from the get-go.  FC people discourage full OS version
upgrades with yum, though they're reported to work.

Since this is the *Fedora* Legacy Project, why not set up an FC3 test
box, turn on nightly updates, and see? :-) If you value stability,
start with FC3 and ride it into Legacy.  If you like to bleed, do FC4
test1...

--jh--