automatic nightly updates

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 18:33:07 UTC 2005

> I have yet to see a scenario where automatic updates direct
> from the upstream vendor is a Good Idea on production systems.

You sort of just described such a system.  It makes good sense to have
one or two production servers auto-update.  Those sames systems can then
be quickly tested and then used as the update server for the internal
system.  What benefit do I gain by waiting on an email then manually
downloading an update vs having the system automatically download and
apply the update?

Would you prefer Microsoft to automatically update end user systems
(even small business Exchange systems hanging off a T1s everywhere), or
do you think that it's best to wait on those people to get around to
finally updating their virus ridden systems?  I personally think a valid
case can be made for vendors forcibly updating neglected systems.  ;-)

-Jim P.