automatic nightly updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Apr 25 20:08:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 15:24 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Define "production level system"
>
> In my view, *any* system that is used in the course of business (be it
> for patch testing, or end-user facing) is a production system.  I
> suppose that you can make the distinction between levels of systems
> (dev, test, acceptance, production?), but in my mind all those systems
> need to be up to vendor patch level else testing of a vendor patch is
> fruitless given the non-consistent environment.
>
> ...snip...
>
> > No changes happen to production servers here without this.
>
> Define "here".  What is the environment there?

I see where our miscommunication is.  To me a production server is one
that is used in the day to day production of the company, users use it,
services use it, etc..  A test lab system is not one of these systems.
There is no loss of productivity if a test server crashes, especially if
you're trying to make the test server crash.

Think of it as the dogfood box next to  your desk that you do test
installs on and other random stuff, stuff you wouldn't want on your main
workstation because it might crash.  These are lab systems, not
production servers.

By 'here' I mean the company I work for and do IT for.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: