automatic nightly updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Apr 25 21:02:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 16:40 -0400, Joe Harrington wrote:
> Relax.
>
> I didn't tell you to make it your practice.  I said to *document* the
> practice prominently, and let people decide for themselves, which I
> think is what you also want.  However, for anyone to be able to use
> it, you have to gear your services to it, by which I mean you have to
> avoid doing anything that would harm someone taking all your updates
> as they come out.  As I said, I don't think you need to change how you
> handle the updates themselves.  I'm talking about web site content,
> mainly, and also a level of awareness for any future situations that
> may come up.

What content needs to change?  Other than saying "you can do this, but
we don't think you should for reasons A ~ X" I don't know what you want
us to say.  One of the 'risks' of automated updates is that we don't do
anything in favor of automated updates, so you can wind up w/ package
releases on the weekends and such.  If you can accept that risk, go to
it.

> > I will not accept risks FOR a user,
> > that is up to the user to decide.
>
> Don't worry, as an unpaid, volunteer service, nobody has or can ask
> you to accept a risk for a user.  That's also true of FP.  Everyone in
> the Fedora world knows that the buck stops with them.
>
> > Opt-in rather than opt-out.
>
> Yes.  That decision is made by FP when they choose the /etc/rc.d
> configuration to ship.

I was under the impression that the nightly yum-cron job was shipping
disabled.  I see it may be enabled in FC4 which I highly disagree with,
but unfortunately it may be too late to stop the change.  That doesn't
mean we have to eat that change.  When we take in FC4, we can urge
people to disable automatic updates and again warm them why they can be
bad.  Our user base is quite a bit different from the average user base
of Fedora, so our users have different needs.  Whats good enough for
Fedora isn't allways good enough for Fedora Legacy.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: