automatic nightly updates

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Mon Apr 25 22:30:19 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:
  > I was under the impression that the nightly yum-cron job was shipping
> disabled.  I see it may be enabled in FC4 which I highly disagree with,

I hope that FC4 sets a standard for the future as far as enabling
updates by default...

There is no way to satisfy everyone with enabling or disabling
autoupdates by default.  I have some systems that need manual updates.
Some of which are customized too much and others that are too important
to have downtime without someone to watch over the update process.  I
have other systems that are desktop systems that are I do not care if
they break by getting a bad update.  If it every happened I would just
deal with it(haven't had a problem in 5 or 6 years).  I have other
systems that are desktop systems that are somewhere in the middle that
sync off of a private mirror that only gets packages put on them after
they are tested in my environment(autoupdate off of a custom mirror).

Given all those scenarios, I would rather see auto-updates enabled by
default.  Desktops would get the updates without any tweaks.  For the
systems that I need to be updated differently, I have to tweak them
anyway.  This also makes sure that end users that just use Fedora for
desktop use(which is a large percentage I bet) will be protected without
reading any information on a website about how to enable auto-updates.
I have a feeling there are quite a few systems that are installed by
people that just want to see what Fedora/Linux is about and don't know
the first thing about updates or the need to install them even if a big
message was on the screen telling them so after every reboot.

No matter what I say or anyone else says... nothing will work for
everyone.  I do personally think protecting people that are not very
knowledgeable about Fedora/Linux should be the priority.