automatic nightly updates

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 25 23:32:03 UTC 2005

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com>:

> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 17:39 -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> >
> > > I personally think a valid
> > > case can be made for vendors forcibly updating neglected systems.  ;-)
> >
> > Nope, sorry, legally they can't,
>
> You a lawyer now?  ;-)

No.  Sorry.  Please ignore any legal advice I offer.

> > unless you sign a contract with them to do so (see definition
> > of "turn key system" for more information).
>
> See Microsoft (and presumably other) EULA.

Which is a contract, which you must agree to.  Okay, so you don't sign
it.  Rephrase it to read "agree to a contract" instead of "sign
a contract" there.

> What does any of this have to do with turnkey systems?

It is one example of where you can agree to have someone maintain the
software on the machine and modify it (e.g. update it) without your
knowledge or per-instance consent.

> -Jim P.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread except for future responses addressing
the web documentation of the issue.  If anyone wants to comment on the
docs about this please do.  Anything else, well, fine also, but I'll try
to stay out of it.

--
Eric Rostetter