separate emails to fedora-legacy-announce for each OS

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Apr 27 13:25:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:37:37AM -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> It's pretty much 4 times more work...

I respect your opinion on this a lot since you've been doing much of the
work, but, c'mon, that's an exaggeration. Most of the per-release work is
already being done -- building the package for each release, QAing it, etc.
And I don't really think it's even 4x the paperwork.

> Well, we'll have to cut&paste and send out 4 advisories instead of 1.
> And each advisory will have to be a little different to reflect the
> actual security issue each release has, instead of just lumping them all
> in the same one even if certain issues didn't affect a particular
> release.

The advisories should already say which issues affect which releases, so
that doesn't seem like much of a change.

> We'll need to decide what we will do with the advisories we post to
> Bugtraq and Full Disclosure lists. Do we post 4 advisories to them for
> each bug? Do we wait until packages for every platform come out before
> posting a consolidated advisory to them? Do we just drop posting to
> Bugtraq and Full Disclosure alltogether?

Fedora Core does 'em separately.

> All this is to solve the problem of not having enough volunteers to QA
> and VERIFY packages. Shouldn't we be looking for more people to help out
> instead of increasing the workload to try and get a few things released
> faster?

That's only one of the things it helps solve. It also makes it much easier
for actual end users (the point of the project, after all!) to track
updates. And, making it more like the regular Fedora Core and Fedora Extras
bug tracking makes it much easier to migrate bugs from there, and just to
*work* in both worlds.

And....

> With the QA whiteboard tags, it's really easy to figure out.
> Take a look at Dom's links page:
> http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~dom/legacy/issues.txt

This seems like kludging a less-intuitive workflow on top of bugzilla,
rather than really using bugzilla's primary tracking functionality. Are the
status whiteboard tags documented somewhere?