exporting displays question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 18:06:37 UTC 2005

Hi all;

I'm trying to export the x display on a more or less debian/morphix (the bdi
install of emc-4.30 TBE) box in my workshop, current temps in the teens,
which I believe uses the XFree86 stuff, to my main box here in a nice warm
room, and failing miserably.

Here I've done an 'xhost +' which supposely lets everyone in according to the
message it returned when I ran it.

There I've set the DISPLAY=thisbox:0 and exported it.
An ssh -X eventually works but I am still lookng at the local konsole I used
to log into the remote box when its done.

An attempt to run an xterm while ssh -X'd into that box fails in about 2
minutes, saying it can't open the display 192.168.xx.x:0, which is this box.

This box is a rather hacked FC2 and is reasonably uptodate, but its not
running XFree86, its running x.org-6.8.1-901 and running it very well since a
couple of days after it was announced, what, a year ago?

So whats the next thing to do to make this work?  Any and all clues cheerfully
accepted at this point.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)