active contributors and supporting distro foo

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Dec 16 19:19:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Whether or not there is "user base" for FC1 is irrelevant.
>
> Of course it's relevant. If nobody used or wanted FC1, it
> wouldn't be relevant. I suppose you mean that there being
> people who use it is insufficient to motivate you to continue
> to support it.

This isn't directed at you, but as a more generic rant -- as I see a
lot of people asking to support "foo" but not putting in any hours to
help in the process.  The project is WAY too understaffed already.

The only thing relevant (IMHO) is whether there are ACTIVE people
ACTUALLY putting in work to 'Make It Happen' (tm).

There is no such thing as free lunch.  If you want updates for "foo",
you should participate in creating those updates.  Other folks may or
may not do them for you.

I'll rephrase to be clearer, because the project is way too
understaffed already:

  - 90% of relevance: whether the distro has (enough) active
    contributors
  - 10% of relevance: whether there are sufficient number of users to
    make the effort worth the trouble of the active contributors
  - Only those who are or would be active contributors have a say in
    making a decision whether to support "foo" or not.