LWN article about us

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri Feb 4 15:01:36 UTC 2005

Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:46:03PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
>
>>An article about us was posted a couple of weeks ago that I didn't see
>>before: http://lwn.net/Articles/119892/
>

> One issue raised here is whether we should be dropping support for 7.3
> by now. Documentated end of support for 7.3 according to
> <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/about/faq.php> is the middle of this year
> (ie 1.5 years after Red Hat EOL). I would say that we should drop it no
> later than the introduction of FC2 support in March, though, because
> three distros is already fairly unmanagable. I'd be happy to drop it
> earlier, though.
>
> Thoughts?

*Troy puts two cents down on the table*

Other than being a mirror, I cannot say I've contributed much to Fedora
Legacy over the past 6 months, so I do not think my opinion should count
for much.  I'm just stating this so people know where Fermilab's policy is.
Fermilab officially ended support for Fermi Linux 7.3.x (based on RedHat
7.3) on January 2005.  We currently have 1240 known 7.3.x users, but in
our negotiations with our experiments, January 2005 was agreed upon, and
no re-negotiations followed.
We will continue to be a mirror for the foreseeable future.

Thanks
Troy Dawson