DNS Error

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Thu Feb 24 13:10:16 UTC 2005

You have a problem with DNS name resolution. Most probably there are no
nameserver records in the /etc/resolv.conf  file on your computer. When
you use option 'usepeerdns'  in /etc/ppp/options PPP daemon will accept
list of DNS servers from your provider and put appropriate 'nameserver'
records in file /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. Therefore, you need to copy that
file to /etc/resolv.conf when connection is established (you also may
use a symbolic link instead of copying the file). If your ISP does not
transmit DNS server addresses when your computer connects to ISP, you
can ask your ISP about those addresses and manually put them into
/etc/reslov.conf. Alternatively, you could run your own DNS server
(caching only) on your computer.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com