Fedora Legacy's LegacyWiki Compromised?

David D. Eisenstein deisenst at gtw.net
Mon Jan 3 19:28:42 UTC 2005

Ricky Boone wrote:

> I'm not sure who this should go to, but I think the LegacyWiki
> <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/wiki/> has been compromised.  There are
> several pages (index.php, index.php/DavidEisenstein,
> index.php/WikiHowto, etc.) that appear to have bogus text and odd links.
>
> I just thought I'd let you know.  I was browsing the wiki this morning
> and noticed the odd content.  If this isn't the correct address for
> notifications like this, please forward.

Thanks Ricky.  The wiki is really easy for people (including spammers)
to get an account on and start messing up pages.  Luckily, the wiki
keeps many backups of previous incarnations of webpages, so repairing or
de-spamming those pages is fairly easy too.  But it is a bit of a pain
and I guess is part of the cost of making the pages easily modifiable.
You'll see this kind of thing happening occasionally over at
www.wikipedia.org, which is also freely modifiable by anyone who wants to.

Thanks to whoever fixed some of these pages already.  And thanks again
for letting us know.
      -David