If you upgrade to FC4 -- THANKS

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 6 21:08:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:49:18 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Kelson Vibber wrote:
[....]
> Most packages don't handle upgrading configuration files very well. The
> person doing the upgrade needs to be told of the file so that they can
> manually walk through the configurations and fix up the configuration as
> needed.
>
>> So after you do a major upgrade, you should look through /etc for files
>> ending in .rpmsave and .rpmnew, compare them to the current config
>> file, and decide whether to accept the new config, stick with the old
>> one, or pick and choose between them.  Most of the time you can get
>> away with using the choice RPM made -- you don't *need* the new command
>> prompt for bash, or you want to keep your list of font directories --
>> but sometimes something important has changed, and you need to combine
>> your customizations with the new config.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Bob

Thank you both, immensely! Those are the things I was trying to ask about.

Small and very hesitant suggestion: could the *installing* software, when
it does an upgrade, watch out for such things and either pop a warning box
up (perhaps only in some sort of verbose mode), or flag them and create a
list to warn of on or before completion? (Maybe under firstboot?)

Rationale: I think I'm not alone in being used to yum (among others)
showing a lot of messages I know will be over my head, and storing them in
some log I don't know where to find. I do boot-gaze, if that's a word
(i.e., watch the messages on boot up, and also on shutdown), and have
gradually learned quite a bit that way; but lots of things are still very
opaque. (At least there're beginning to be man pages that aren't!)

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1&4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;