New repository metadata format

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Jul 13 05:17:00 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:53 AM -0700 Jesse Keating
<jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:

>> Yep, I installed the newer yum to get the more efficient metadata
>> representation. (The tricky part was that one has to hand-update any
>> customized yum.conf to include the new /etc/yum.d files, as yum.conf
>> is
>> marked noreplace. But this might have been addressed in more recent
>> packages by a post scriptlet.)
>>
>> Eventually FC3 will move to Legacy and will need this, so effort to
>> set up
>> the mechanism wouldn't be wasted.
>
> Yeah it's just an extra line in our 'upload' script.  It will add a few
> minutes on our end is all.  I'd rather not gen the metadata twice ):

It doesn't look like this ever happened. At the time I updated yum FC2 was
still a "live" product and most mirrors had both kinds of metadata so it
wasn't a problem to update yum to use the newer format and take advantage
of the features of the newer system.

Should I wait for the metadata or should I just mirror the whole repo and
create my own?