RH7.3 system, gzip updated last night, now amanda fails

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 25 12:25:50 UTC 2005

On Sunday 24 July 2005 22:30, Jesse Keating wrote:
>On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 21:28 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I can, the srcs are there, or I can move them over and have
>> version matching till the next amanda snapshot comes out, but the
>> puzzle is why the non-compressed backups failed, while the
>> compressed ones worked.  Non-compressed tells me gzip isn't a
>> factor.  And, to top it off, the normal printout of results amanda
>> does for me, didn't print until I investigated after getting an
>> email from amcheck that there appeared to be another instance of
>> amdump running, or I needed to run amcleanup.  Since amdump, nor
>> any of its slaves were running, I ran the cleanup script, and then
>> got the printout and the email telling me what had failed.
>>
>> Me confused, and goes off to wait till tonights run & see if it
>> repeats.
>
>Oh whoops.  I thought you said non-compressed worked and compressed
>didn't.  My bad.  See what happens tonight.

And I just looked at the emailed report, and the printout, and
everything worked just fine last night.

I don't *think* it was a case of PEBKAC, but thats first time in many
moons that its missfired since I went to virtual tapes on a big hard
drive.  That yum update did not take place while amanda was running.

I suppose the next time it happens, I will have forgotten about
waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Isn't there a Murphy's Law
corollary about that?  :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)