yum problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 28 03:23:15 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 22:49, Jesse Keating wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 21:30 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Resolving dependencies
>> ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
>> Package nfs-utils needs kernel >= 2.2.14, this is not available.
>
>Your DB is horked.  This is Greater than or equal to 2.2.14.  Your
> 2.6 kernel should most certainly satisfy this.  However your system
> seems to think that the kernel isn't installed.

According to rpm, it wasn't, so I did an install with the --justdb
option, which fixed that right up.  Note that I don't frankly care if
the original kernel is available for booting or not, I've currently
about 25 choices setup in grub.conf.  I have been known to build 3
kernels a day just for fun & testing.

[root at coyote init.d]# uname -r
2.6.12-RT-V0.7.51-38

Which I think you have to admit is in danger of leaving blood on the
floor.  It does have some IRQ handling problems though.

>I don't know what you've done to your rpm db, and most likely you
> will not be able to recover to a sane state.  I would really
> suggest starting over.

Never say never my friend.  I've just come off a weeks worth of trying
to install FC4 on another machine & gave up after about 10 cycles.
Those cd's went out with the trash this morning.  3 of the many
installs worked long enough to type yum update, which promptly
destroyed them to the point of being unbootable.  So if I do
something here thats not recoverable via amanda, and have to
re-install, the re-install with start with disk 1 of debian-3.1.  Or
maybe even gentoo, but at 70, I may not have enough time to get it to
run as clean as I have this one running now for day to day use.

--
Cheers Jesse, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)