changes are needed, we need keep moving

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jun 2 21:28:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 05:10:58PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > Yeah, that attitude *is* exactly the problem.
> OK, what should be done to eliminate that attitude?  Should I install
> mozilla on my RH73 servers just so that I have to update it?  ;-)

Sorry, that came out crankier than I really meant it. Thanks for taking it
lightly. :)

> I'm not saying that because I don't use it nobody else should.  What I
> am saying is that I don't use it and therefore don't see a need to test
> it.  Are others using it?  If so, why aren't they stepping up to test
> it?  Do we have data on who needs what out of RH73?

It's really hard to predict what people are might be using. And, y'know, you
don't want to accidentally fire up some client app on RH73 and unthinkingly
access the network with it and discover your account compromised.

And it's *also* really hard to get good testers for everything. It'd be nice
if people (um, including me) would be able to volunteer a little extra
effort to check out things that they're not absolutely needing themselves,
to help the project as a whole.

I keep meaning to do exactly what I'm talking about, but I'm *so* busy with
work schedule right now. (Mailing list posts take much less mental effort
than good package review, is my excuse here.... *grin*)