Yum did it again

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 22 12:37:30 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 08:16, seth vidal wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 07:22 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I just followed the instructions on the legacy web page on howto
>> setup yum to use the legacy repos.
>>
>> I have some stuff built from tarballs, like bleeding edge kernels
>> cups, gimp etc, so those got added to the exclude line.
>>
>> Unforch, I forgot about the libxml2 stuffs.  So, after yum had
>> updated several dozen packages including libxlm2, I'm back to
>> square one with this error:
>> root at coyote dlds-rpms]# yum check-update
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>>     import yummain
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>>     import yumcomps
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>>     import comps
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>>     import libxml2
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>>     import libxml2mod
>> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
>> undefined symbol: xmlNewDocPI
>>
>> Obviously I'm missing a
po/usr/dlds-rpms/libxml2-python-2.6.10-1.1.fc2.nr.i386.rpmint here
because historically I have had
>> to forceably reinstall the older versions of libxml2 here several
>> times before to get yum to work again.
>>
>> So what is this point I'm missing?
>>
>> I really would like to be able to use yum, but the constant
>> libxml2 problems are making it impossible to use without an
>> exclude line that includes libxml2*.
>
>what version of fedora?

FC2 with lots of updates via tarball builds, but that should not be
related, I've (up till now) been carefull not to touch the
yum/python/libxml2 stuffs after getting burnt previously.

>what version of yum?

yum-2.0.7-1.1

>what version of libxml2 and libxml2-python are installed?

libxml2-python-2.6.16-2
libxml2-devel-2.6.10-1.1.fc2.nr
libxml2-2.6.16-2

I've since tried to re-install the 2.6.10-1.1 stuffs but apparently
failed.  It was yum that upgraded it all to 2.6.16-2 this morning.

There are pieces of python-1.5, 2.2, and 2.3 installed here.  Its been
that way since I upgraded RH7.3 to FC2.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)