Yum did it again

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 23 15:50:49 UTC 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 11:29, Jesse Keating wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 10:11 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> rpm had been installed & thereby satisfy all the rpm dependencies
>> that are false negatives when we put in a tarball to scratch an
>> itch in a broken distro.  Like the cups in FC2 was a fscking
>> disaster. And it had 2 security related updates that didn't fix
>> the kde crash, I tried them both.
>
>Where are the bug reports about CUPS killing KDE?  We used FC2
>throughout its life time with cups and some users on KDE.  Lots and
> lots of printing every single day, no problems.  I seriously wonder
> if your KDE print issues weren't due to other franken-distro fun.

They are not in bugzilla if thats what you are asking, see my previous
msg about bugzilla and the advil sized headache I get everytime I try
to enter a bug report.

But there was certainly a lot of noise about it on the fedora-list at
the time indicating I wasn't alone.  And it _was_ a known problem on
the cups mailing list.  Updateing cups-1.1.17 via a tarball build to
1.1.19 fixed it right up, currently runing 1.1.23 via tarball build
here now.  kde is also at 3.3.0, built with konstruct and installed
in root since I'm the only user of this machine.  Odd maybe, but it
works very well indeed.  I'm on the kde mailing lists and I don't
have 99% of the troubles I see being reported on those lists.  Call
it a franken-distro if you like, but AFAIAC I'm just fixing things
that were broken from the gitgo with FC2, like printing.  Stuff that
should have Just Worked(TM).

The fact that it never made bugzilla, and even worked in some cases is
2 seperate items.  See my last msg for my feelings re bugzilla.  The
fact that it worked for some might be because they installed from
scratch.  I didn't, and don't, want to lose my archives, 3 GB of
music I'd have to rerip, and 20GB of photos I'll have to suck back
out of amanda to recover.  Those are pretty good reasons to just
update.

And the FC4 install just lied to me.  On that 'sacrificial box' it
said I could fine tune its automatic disk config, but it went right
ahead and formatted the drive and FC4 is about half installed without
ever showing me what it did to /dev/hdb's 46GB.  Where is /swap for
instance, which I don't want on the same spindle as the rest of the
system just to keep from thrashing the seeks.  Apparently I won't
know till I reboot and do a df.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)