Yum did it again

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:04:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 12:09 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 24 June 2005 08:36, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:19:26PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Is there a tutorial on LVM someplace?
> >
> >The LVM HOWTO is a good start.
> > <http://www.google.com/search?q=lvm+howto>.
>
> What I'm reading there so far (up to section 4) brings up questions
> about its ability to work as a regular filesystem as far as tar &
> amanda are concerned.  But I probably haven't read far enough yet,
> thats a regular 200+ page book that Tim should be printing!
>
> Obviously its now bookmarked.  Thanks.

LVM shouldn't cause any problems with those things.  Think of it like
this, although this is not a really rigorous diagram of the driver path
(warning: bad ASCII art ahead):

.-----------.     .----------------------.
| VFS layer |<===>| tar or other utility |
|-----------|     '----------------------'
|   ext3    |
|-----------|
|    LVM    |
|   kernel  |

Plainly put, LVM is an enabling technology that underlies your actual
file system choices.  You still choose ext3 "partitions," but now each
of those partitions, instead of being defined on the disk itself in the
partition tables, is sliced out of the total space in a LVM VG.
Although your fstab will look different, to everything in user space,
like tar, ls, etc., /home/me/myfile is accessed the same way.  Clear as
mud?