how to get started with helping the project [...]

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Mar 3 17:59:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 12:54 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> But FL does need to have the same *quality*.

No it doesn't.  FL can't have the same quality of RHEL w/out another Red
Hat backing it, and last time I checked, cloning isn't quite possible
yet.  I'm sorry, but thats just the way it is.  This is a COMMUNITY
project and you're going to get COMMUNITY quality.

> Quality doesn't come
> easily, and it's not something that should be taken lightly.

I'm not taking it lightly at all.  I'm trying to do the best we can,
realistically.

>   At the end
> of the day I just want to contribute to a project that produces
> something of quality, time and time again.

Well, you'll just have to define your personal level of Quality
acceptance.  If you need a quality distro that has multi-year bugfixing
support, something close to RHEL quality, I seriously suggest you look
at joining the cAos project.  They could use the help.

> Currently the complex puzzle, that FL calls a release, makes it
> difficult for FL to grow, in fact I think it is driving people away.
> Do
> you want people to depend on FL or do you want them to participate
> only
> to the point that they become convinced that paying RH or others is a
> much better course.

I want people using FL to know what they're getting into, and to clearly
know what we're providing for them.  We're not an RHEL alternative.
We're a community project that's trying to provide security updates to
Legacy releases, for a short period of time.  There are plenty of people
(if my webusage logs don't lie) that want this exact thing, and I'm more
than happy to service them.  I cannot however service people properly
that want something else out of the project.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: