how to get started with helping the project [...]

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Thu Mar 3 23:48:30 UTC 2005

> >So , IMHO, there's no need to post every 2 sentences a discclaimer saying
> >"Warning! F.L.P. is not corporate-grade nor ISO9001! "
> >

> There is still a great mis-understanding among the Linux community
> at large on this point. To many, FC == "RedHat Linux" and they are
> in denial that FC is bleeding edge, unsupported and will require
> frequent upgrades/reboots/bug fixes.
>
> The full weight of what it means when an FC project is migrated to
> FL is lost to most.
>
> I really wish people understood that:
>
>     Fedora Core is a community based linux distribution that will be
>     supported by the FC community for aproximately 9 - 10 months, at
>     which point limited support for major security updates will be
>     availble for another 9 - 10 months by the FL community. Only use
> FC    if you plan on upgrading your system every 6 months and only count
>     on FL to provide the absolute essential updates for a limited
> time    after the FC release has been retired. Total support for a
> FC    distribution will not exceed 18 months in most cases.
>
> I really don't think it hurts to make it clear. People always get
> upset when their expectations have been let-down. Helping people get
> their expectations in line with reality can avoid a lot of hard
> feelings, IMHO.
>
> It is my personal opinion, and I've been flamed for this before,
> that FL is only a transitional project. I think that when people
> realize FC is unsupported and that they should upgrade whenever a
> new version comes out, demand for FL will decrease. If a
> person/organization needs a supported distro that can be put in
> place for 1 - 5 years, FC is NOT the right choice. Anything that the
> FL community can do to make this point clear will be beneficial in
> the long term. (and will ensure that FL ceases to exist in another
> year or two)

I would tend to agree with you there Matthew. When I started with installing
FC1, then FC2, then FC3 releases on servers (upgraded from prior RH releases),
I didn't fully grasp an understanding of what it meant for production servers,
and what ended up being an upgrade treadmill. For the servers I was rolling
out, I found myself having to redo builds, sometimes from scratch, to build,
test, re-test, re-build, till the server was guaranteed to be rock solid. then
roll-out, and a short time later, having to do it all again.

I realised what FC was, but didn't really understand the committment that was
required to upgrades when running it on so many servers. I even considered
skipping even numbered releases and going with odd (fc2 skip, fc4 skip, etc).
But in the end I sat down and looked at the bigger picture, and ending up
settling with alternative RHEL releases, which satisfied my requirements to a
tee.

Michael.