Fedora Legacy Test Update Notification: spamassassin

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Mar 7 05:14:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:42:34PM -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

> 2- Don't issue a security update at all
>
> 3- Issue a patch for the current, obsolete, version
>
> Is there any way we could be doing this any better?

Well, the original mozilla which came with RH7.3 was mozilla-0.9.9.
It got bumped up in Red Hat updates to version 1.2, I think.  The
current one from legacy updates is mozilla-1.4.3.  As a matter of
fact this was the only reasonable decision AFAICT (and RHEL got some
updates to that in the meantime).  I did actually looked once at a
possibility of doing backport fixes here and quickly decided that
there is no way I can do such thing with any amount of confidence
that results will be even remotely correct not even mentioning time
which would be required for such operation.

I understand very well reasons for "only fixes" policy but there are
situations where this becomes too rigid or unsustainable.  OTOH
"holding a dam" has clear merits but it also may cause a waste of
scarce resources.  No, I do not have clearcut answers which would
be applicable on every occasion.

  Michal