Error: ... correct GPG keys installed?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 4 16:48:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:59:23 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> But if you look at "Beartooth's" signature you see that he is running
> Fedora Core 1. And I remember him from the Fedora User list as being and
> not very experienced user. So if you confuse him directing into the gpg
> binary usage, that does not help him. He simply does not know anything
> about the GPG signing, I fear (reading his initial posting and reply).

You got me. I did run into GPG problems when I first started using
Clint Harshaw's yum.conf, as I think I said; asked about it; got told what
to do to get the various keys; did it; and happily ran yum for some time.

> I think he is a Fedora Core 1 user and found out lately that security
> updates are coming from the Fedora Legacy Project for his release. And
> as these packages have a different GPG sign than those from Red Hat, he
> now does not know how to install the update packages from FLP. He may
> correct me if I am wrong. If he did read
>
> http://www.fedoralegacy.org/about/security.php
>
> at least he didn't understand it.

Right, alas! -- nor did I understand it on reading it again ten minutes
ago.

When it tells me to do (for Red Hat 8.0 and later) "rpm --import
<keyfile>", does it mean to substitute "FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY" or all
of "http://www.fedoralegacy.org/FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY" -- or some third
thing -- for <keyfile>?

I see a note on that site about a bug involving multiple keys, but the
error message it uses as an example does not match what I'm getting. I
don't know what to make of that.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1 & YDL 4.0