VDQ : how to print with FC1 and an HP 1310 series.

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 9 22:21:35 UTC 2005

This may turn out to be two problems before I'm done, but this is
definitely the first if such be the case.

I bought a new HP, 1310 series; plugged it into a USB port, and rebooted;
Fedora Core 1 ran kudzu, and told me it had configured the printer. So I
opened pine 4.62 and tried to print a message. It couldn't use lpr, cups,
nor CUPS as the default printer.

Then I brought up a page in Epiphany and tried again. The only difference
I saw was that at least pine had given me an error message.

Once I can print, there *may* be another problem. We run three printers
and five computers. One is a Lexmark, which I declared to be a
single-purpose machine rather than fight any more with trying to get a
driver for linux; it does work with XPPro, which dual-boots on one machine
with FC1 (two hard drives); I mention it only to get it out of the way,
hoping it'll prove irrelevant.

One is an old HP 1100 series, presently a dedicated printer for my wife's
desktop, one floor down; it'll probably have to stay that, though I'd
rather not.

There are two FC1 machines (counting the dual-boot) and an FC2 on my desk,
and a G3 iBook floating wirelessly about the house. All five connect to
the same wireless router -- and so does an itty-bitty Linksys printserver,
about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

After I get all the machines I can configured to use the 1310 via
direct USB cable, says Linksys, I can just plug the USB cable from
the 1310 into the printserver, and they should all share. Says Linksys. I
hope that's right. But I am not sanguine.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4, XPPro