FL update policy [Re: just one VERIFY to be fully published]

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Mar 24 21:33:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 08:09 -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> Si in other words, Fedora Legacy will never maintain more than one
> unsupported Fedora Core version? It seems to me that prolonging the
> usefulness of a release by only six months isn't very long and, IMO, a
> waste of time.

This is wrong.

Fedora Legacy will support TWO outdated Fedora releases at any time.

When FC4test2 releases, Red Hat will discontinue support for FC2 and
Fedora Legacy will pick it up.  Nothing will happen to Fedora Core 1.
Fedora is supporting FC4 and FC3, Legacy is supporting FC2 and FC1.
Now, when FC5 Test2 releases, Red Hat will drop support for FC3.  Fedora
Legacy picks up FC3 and drops FC1 from it's ranks.

My initial estimate of 1.5 years was a bit low, as I was expecting
faster FC releases than once every 6 months.  So I err'd on the side of
short as it's always a better surprise when you get longer support than
quoted (:

With a 6-month release cycle, RH will support a given FC release for
almost a year.  Then FC will pick it up and support it for almost
another year.  Thats almost 2 years of support.  Perhaps we need to
change the FAQ to say 'between 1.5 and 2 years'.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: