FL update policy [Re: just one VERIFY to be fully published]

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 03:10:50 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 08:09 -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
>

>>Si in other words, Fedora Legacy will never maintain more than one
>>unsupported Fedora Core version? It seems to me that prolonging the
>>usefulness of a release by only six months isn't very long and, IMO, a
>>waste of time.
>>

>This is wrong.
>
>Fedora Legacy will support TWO outdated Fedora releases at any time.
>
>When FC4test2 releases, Red Hat will discontinue support for FC2 and
>Fedora Legacy will pick it up.  Nothing will happen to Fedora Core 1.
>Fedora is supporting FC4 and FC3, Legacy is supporting FC2 and FC1.
>Now, when FC5 Test2 releases, Red Hat will drop support for FC3.  Fedora
>Legacy picks up FC3 and drops FC1 from it's ranks.
>
>My initial estimate of 1.5 years was a bit low, as I was expecting
>faster FC releases than once every 6 months.  So I err'd on the side of
>short as it's always a better surprise when you get longer support than
>quoted (:
>
>With a 6-month release cycle, RH will support a given FC release for
>almost a year.  Then FC will pick it up and support it for almost
>another year.  Thats almost 2 years of support.  Perhaps we need to
>change the FAQ to say 'between 1.5 and 2 years'.

Discussion of the support horizon for FC releases has raised a question
or two.  FL continues to support RH 7.3 and RH9, but all discussion of
support for FC releases has focused on finite time horizons.  Is the
number of users wanting to stay with a particular release and help
support it a criterion that will be factored into the support horizon.
Or, will the FL support horizon for FC releases be strictly tied to Red
Hat's FC release calendar?