FL update policy [Re: just one VERIFY to be fully published]

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 25 04:39:23 UTC 2005

Quoting David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net>:

> Discussion of the support horizon for FC releases has raised a question
> or two.  FL continues to support RH 7.3 and RH9, but all discussion of
> support for FC releases has focused on finite time horizons.  Is the

Correct.  That is the way the project was created.

> number of users wanting to stay with a particular release and help
> support it a criterion that will be factored into the support horizon.

Only (as it stands now) in the sense that if there is not enough people
willing to help support a release, it will be dropped.

I can see where, if there is a lot of support for a particular release,
and people want it extended for a while, it could be done for a small
length of time.  But I'd hate to see it happen for more than just a
small period of time.

> Or, will the FL support horizon for FC releases be strictly tied to Red
> Hat's FC release calendar?

That's been the plan from day one, and so far no talk of changing it.
I don't think it would be feasible to change it, as I don't think we'll
ever have enough people to support more than about a half dozen or
so releases.

Of course, the above is my opinion only, and in no way official or anything.

--
Eric Rostetter