Numbering conventions

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Mar 28 19:41:17 UTC 2005

Yes, the version numbering reads from left-to-right
2.4.20.99 is before 2.4.21.1

'legacy' indicates it is from the fedora-legacy project; progeny is unknown
to me except an ISP brand name.

athlon. vs i386 vs <none> indicates whether the rpm is built on/for a particular
architecture.  .i386 runs anywhere (tm) but .athlon is not guaranteed on i686 or
x64 architecture.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> fedoraleg_form at mm-vanecek.cc 03/28/05 01:51PM >>>
I am getting a little confused about the numbering conventions.

For example, how does (if it does)

kernel-2.4.20-31.9.progeny.7.athlon.rpm

compare with

kernel-2.4.20-42.9.legacy.athlon.rpm?

Can I assume that the legacy version is a more current version than the progeny?

Thanks.