mysql-server

Tom Yates madlists at teaparty.net
Tue Mar 29 19:22:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Pettit, Paul wrote:

> I was using the term "federal" in it's broadest terms. Guess I should
> have used the word "government" instead ... or would you have taken
> offence to that too?

it's not an issue of "taking offence".  language is for communication, and
the word "federal" carries some very specific meanings - which vary widely
from one federated entity to another!  if you want a broad-brush term, how
about simply "holidays"?

> Please try and not start some kind of 'them vs us' fight where there was
> none intended.

i'm pleased to know none such was intended; i apologise for giving the
impression i had taken up cudgels.

> And how I handle it is obviously not too important here.

not so!  but there are definitely "wrong" ways to apply patches, and if
you're pointing out a problem that the community believes was caused by
the way you apply patches, they might well question your patching
methodology before changing things to accommodate it.

but it's always worth raising things, in case you're the tip of the
iceberg, and 5,000 other users suffer from the same problem.

> Since there is no way to cache the downloads for implienting manually I
> guess I'm SOL.

i'm sorry, but i think you're wrong, although i don't quite understand the
comment.  i think there are probably a number of ways to do what you want
to do, if i guess aright.  yum may or may not be the right tool to do it.

could you clarify what you're aiming at?  possibly off-list?

> I don't want to go to each and every machine (I have more than 1) and
> manually run yum to update them. It defeats the purpose of having cron.

ok.  then you might want to consider having your own release repository,
to which you don't release patches until they satisfy your additional
release criteria.

> p.s. fedoralegacy.org is refusing connections. :(

i use mirrordir to keep my own local cache updated, if that suggestion's
any help.

--

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.