mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Mar 29 22:16:10 UTC 2005

> Michal Jaegermann
>
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:49:35PM -0600, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> > > Michal Jaegermann

> > > updates to the
> > >
> > > Not much need for this, really.  'yum check-update' will
> produce not
> > > only a status but a list of packages if any available.
> Feeding that
> > > to a program (lftp, wget, .... ) which will retrieve those from
> > > suitable mirrors is not that complicated.
> >
> > Hmmm, covered this, but again that is a manual fix.
>
> What is "manual"?  Wrting a script or applying updates you
> automatically retrieved?

Applying the updates.

The overhead (work hours) is high if said downloads are on multiple
servers and updates must be run on each (as well as dependancy
checking). My dad always said "work smarter".

I'm already writing a script to deal with the issue. Hopefully this will
be a better fit than the stock yum setup.

> > The problem is when
> > you want to do updates automaticaly but in doing so updates
> come out at
> > times when there is no support ready (on holiday/vacation/etc) for
> > undocumented problems.
>
> 'man 5 crontab'.  You may actually specify in which days you want
> cron to trigger the given action.  Another option is for your update
> script to check a list of "banned" dates and simply exit if the
> current day happens to be on that list.  Clearly you can combine
> both approaches if desired.

Pretty much what I'm setting up.

I guess I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture where not all can
do what the rest of us can or at the same skill level.

> You should not expect that a general distribution will set up such
> detailed administrative policies for you but this is something you
> can easily do yourself.
>
>    Michal

I never said I did, where did you get that?

The problem is that as setup (via FL's own documentation) there is no
granular control. The default is 'on' or 'off' and that's it. Not very
handy when you add to that FL's policy of pushing updates out as soon as
possible without consideration to timing. It's not a bad policy but ...

It's sort of just one of those times when multiple normally unrelated
occurances happen at the same time (i.e. mysql update, holiday, broken
restart function in said update). Many ways to fix it but I think one
way to help would be to maybe schedule pending updates. That might be a
problem but hey, this is a discussion right?

Paul Pettit