mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Tue Mar 29 23:12:02 UTC 2005

> Marc Deslauriers
>
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:30 -0600, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> > Well yeah maybe if they relate to other apps (or other apps rely on
> > them) but where does that figure into the mySQL crash after update?
> > Simply put it doesn't, the package updated fine, didn't
> break anything,
> > and failed to reboot on it's own. This happened on a holiday thus
> > compounding the problem for a (unlucky) few. It's not biterness but
> > concern for future updates and the haphazard way they are
> being put out.
> > But if I'm the only one worried then ... meh. I'll live and
> I'm sure the
> > world won't end if this is pushed aside.
>
> Although I'm sorry it happened to you on a weekend, I don't
> think we'll
> be changing our release schedule. We actually released the
> mysql update
> on a Thursday.

Heh, well do you happen to know when the yum auto update runs? You are
aware of the impact that FL's documentation has if you simply follow
step 4 and make no other changes? It is FL's documentation after all so
you should know that those using the yum auto update would update Friday
MORNING at 4am or so (assuming that cron.daily is running per stock
settings).

As for changing your schedule ... what schedule?! Lol!

Look, all I wanted to do was point out a particular situation. If the
powers that be (i.e. you?) feel it's of no concern than so be it. Life
goes on, we find work arounds, and things proceed in a (somewhat)
orderly fasion. I hope that those "powers" take note but if not then oh
well, at least I did my part and spoke up and no one can say "why did
that update fail on Christmas!" We all know now that it's possible that
an FL update will appear on Christmas Eve and should plan and program
accordingly. :)

> I do consider mysql not restarting itself a bug though. Could you (or
> somebody else on this list) please enter it in bugzilla at
> bugzilla.redhat.com under Fedora Legacy. There are more mysql updates
> coming up soon and I would like to fix the restart issue before they
> come out as I personally think automatic yum updates should work
> properly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc.

I'll see what I can do. Not sure if I have an account there but if not
I'll make one when I get a few minutes free. Honestly though I think
othes would be better versed in the actual bug. I didn't know what
caused it till I read it here.

Peace.

Paul Pettit