mysql-server

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Wed Mar 30 00:27:03 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> The issue is, that the init script does not
> take care for the case, that the MySQL root user has a password set
> (which is highly recommended) and the anonymous user removed.
> Unfortunately the RPM install does not care for a changed init script -
> changed for fixing the issue - and exchanges it with the wrong one
> again.

Also, every time I've upgraded I've had to adjust the following config line:

# chkconfig: - 78 12

to read:

# chkconfig: 345 78 12

Even when I was getting updates from Red Hat or straight from MySQL, I
ran into problems where it would decide to remove the links from the
runlevel directories, because that's what the chkconfig line in the
initscript said.  The next time we had to install a new kernel, MySQL
didn't start with the system.

The three numbers are:

1. runlevels in which to run the service (digits all run together)
2. start sequence position
3. end sequence position

 From what I can tell, when RPM upgrades the package it reruns chkconfig
and restores the default setting of, well, not running MySQL.

--
Kelson Vibber