mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Wed Mar 30 19:55:00 UTC 2005

> David Rees wrote:
>
> On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:25 am, Pettit, Paul said:
> >
> > No, not much different than everyone else.
> >
> > I only possed an opinion (for which I have been thoroughly
> reamed for)
> > in regards to timing the release of updates. My only mistake was not
> > thinking of the problem on a more global scale in relation to timed
> > releases. It's apparent that this must be done based on each persons
> > local conditions. I had incorrectly thought it was something that FL
> > might want to control or lend a hand dealing with.
>
> On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:51 am, Pettit, Paul said:
> >> Eric Rostetter
> >> I think your opinion is worth the world.  And a lot of
> good ideas have
> >> come from this discussion, some of which will help FL and its users
> >> in the future.
> >
> > I can't see how anyone could believe you when you say "your
> opinion is
> > worth the world". You've done nothing but attack me and my
> thoughts on
> > the subject. I guess you value my opinion as it gives you
> ammo to shoot
> > me with.
>
> From my point of view, the whole disagreement started when you (Paul)
> started chastising the list (whether or not you meant for it
> to sound like
> that) for not seeing things the way you saw them.
>
> At which point people started getting defensive and annoyed
> (me included)
> and the thread took on it's own life from there.

I don't think that at anytime I chastized anyone except Eric, and that
because all he did was talk down to me.

If I gave that impression to anyone else on the list I humbily
apologize.

It was my intent to express my opinion, not to change the world. I have
little power to do that unless we all agreee it'd be a good thing. My
opinion however was based on a narrow view of things and has since been
corrected.

> On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:25 am, Pettit, Paul said:
> > Yes I did and it's the bet response of all the posts here.
> I thank you
> > for actually trying to solve the problem, that's what a community is
> > for. Saddly you're the only one that really did that. Tom
> had the same
> > idea but (heh) did it in less useful terminology. :)
>
> Just trying to solve a problem and get the flame-fest under
> control.  ;-)
> I'm glad you finally found a good solution to your problem.

Still working on it as you know. ;)

> > Yeah that will work for now but dealing with holidays is a bit more
> > tricky. Yum nor Crom really don't have any method for
> dealing with it
> > and I'm not aware of another job scheduler for linux that
> would resolve
> > the core issue.
> >
> > There in is the nut I need to crack. FL will be of no help
> in dealing
> > with it and I can see why: tz issues, lack of ownership, no drive to
> > resolve, and the mantra of security (updates out asap when
> "ready", not
> > that that's bad).
>
> This type of tone can easily set people off, even though the second
> paragraph is true, it really does sound like an attack,
> whether you mean it
> or not.  I would suggest leaving these types of comments off the list,
> and instead keep posts focused on solutions (like you say below).

See below ...

> > I'll have to do some more programing and I'll try and send out the
> > improved script (if I get it to work well) so others can
> use it. Did a
> > test run but it took like 3 hours to run and I'm not sure why. :P
>
> On Wed, March 30, 2005 8:51 am, Pettit, Paul said:
> >
> > It was never a battle in my mind (don't bother responding,
> you DO NOT
> > know what I think) but an opinion that you took as an
> atttack on how FL
> > runs.
>
> It looked a battle to me on both ends.  I know I was
> frustrated.  Perhaps
> we can all learn a lesson from this and think of the people
> on the other
> side of the wire and keep the comments productive.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Just as a matter of point.

I rarely post to lists (any) because of what happened here. It's
probably all my fault as I like to speak in plain language and spell out
what I'm seeing. This often is taken as an attack when it's more of a
summary of my thoughts. It's a habit (bad?) which I see is not very
welcome here (heh) so I will try and control my urge to say more than is
absolutely needed for the problem at hand.

Peace.

Paul Pettit