Problem with openmotif-devel-2.2.2-14.2.legacy update

Al Sera alberto.sera at arssys.com
Sat May 14 17:43:02 UTC 2005

Al Sera wrote:
> Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:01:43 -0400 in 42862EF7.4020500 at arssys.com Al
>> Sera <alberto.sera at arssys.com> wrote:

>>> Looks to me like lesstif is not registered in the RH9 legacy
>>> repository.  A "yum list lesstif" shows it in my RH9 box but not as an
>>> available  package from the RH9 Legacy repository. So I guess I need
>>> to remove one  and stick with the other. Since I am maintaining my box
>>> with Legacy  updates, I'll stick with openmotif and will remove
>>> lesstif... unless  anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks for the
>>> quick feedback. [ars].
>>

>> No, lesstif is an RH9 package, not an RH9 legacy pacvkage.
>>
>> I have both installed on my system, the versions are the same as yours.
>>
>> rpm -ql for each package shows no clash of files as the headers are in
>> different paths.
>>
>> I don't understand why you're having this problem unless you have
>> rebuilt from source rpms with modified paths specified.
>>

> I have never rebuilt from source or explicitly installed either package
> myself. This is weird. Not that it might mean anything, but this box
> started a few years ago at RHL 7.2 and was upgraded single step
> incrementally all the way to RHL 9 through time. [ars].

Now this one got more spooky...

I just forced each install of the other packages (non-openmotif)
manually, one at at a time using "yum -C update <pkgname>" and then just
for grins did a "yum -C update" to force to look at cache with the last
package left (openmotif). openmotif installed fine !!!

[root]# yum -C update
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Base
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Fedora Legacy utilities
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[update: openmotif-devel 2.2.2-14.2.legacy.i386]
[update: openmotif 2.2.2-14.2.legacy.i386]
[update: openmotif21 2.1.30-8.0.9.2.legacy.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
openmotif 100 % done 1/6
openmotif21 100 % done 2/6
openmotif-devel 100 % done 3/6
Completing update for openmotif-devel  - 4/6
Completing update for openmotif  - 5/6
Completing update for openmotif21  - 6/6
Updated:  openmotif-devel 2.2.2-14.2.legacy.i386 openmotif
2.2.2-14.2.legacy.i386 openmotif21 2.1.30-8.0.9.2.legacy.i386
Transaction(s) Complete
[root]#

Go figure... [ars].